Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Building an Ego

     There is a lack of time for stillness and contemplation in our culture. Even Sunday, the nationally adopted Christian day of rest, is rarely observed as such anymore. Many of us work lest there be a gap of one whole day (gasp) in customer service. Many others use their days off, whichever those may be, as time to take care of chores and social networking/obligations that their week leaves inadequate time for. Any truly free time we may have is generally filled with various media distractions desperately distracting ourselves from our own thoughts.
     I have notices that a lack of contemplation, especially introspection, leads me to a lack of firm opinions and a weakening of my usually strong sense of self-identity. I need time in which to observe my own motives and evolution in order to maintain a unique and dynamic personality. Without this I find myself with little of substance to contribute to social interactions. I am forced to fall back on pre-fabricated labels and group identity: fast-food for the psyche. In uncertainty I am more prone to get sucked into the advertisement fueled consumer mindset, attempting to make myself happy by buying new things, always dissatisfied and searching for the product I can purchase that will make me feel fulfilled. A vague sense of purposelessness and of dangling over and undefined void stokes panic attacks. Food, alcohol, caffeine, and more exotic chemicals all start to seem more of a crutch than a recreational enhancement or aesthetic enjoyment. I have to wonder if a part of the consumption mad, over eating, drug addicted, attention deficit herd mentality of our culture is the result of a simple lack of taking time for self contemplation and the building of a strong and defined self-identity.
     I wonder how much we suffer for lack of boredom?

No comments:

Post a Comment